…Take almonds, and draw a good mylke there-of, and
take Dates and mince them small and put thereon enough; take Raw Apples and
pare them and stamp them, and draw them up with wine, or with draft of almonds,
or both, then cast powder of gingere, cinnamon,mace, and cloves, and cast thereon
Sugar enough; then take a quantity of flour of rice, and strew it thereon, and
make it chargeaunt [stiff paste] and color it with Saffron, and with Saunders,
and serve it forth; and strew cinnamon about it.
4 lbs of chopped dates with oat flour, minced
3-4 pounds almond refuse from almond milk
Note: the oat flour on the chopped dates substituted for the rice flour.
- Chop the dates up finer in the food processor
- Using the food processor, ake a second milk of the almond refuse-- 1 part
almonds to 2 parts water.
- Peel and quarter the apples; submerge in water with a little lemon juice
to prevent browning.
- Drain and chop apples to fill food processor about half full
- Add about 6 tbsp dates
- Add about 2/3 c almond milk
- Add about 1/3 c. red wine
- Season with ginger, cinnamon, mace & cloves
- Whirl around and add more wine if needed to make the batch pink.
- Repeat until apples are gone.
- We stored these overnight in very cold refrigeration.
- Add a little saffron and saunders in wine to make it darker colored before
All materials copyright Jennifer Heise or original authors as otherwise specified.
Permission is granted for use as printed handouts and for cooking as long as you
let me know (firstname.lastname@example.org) and if you
republish, get me a copy. My homepage: http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga